Romford is one of the lesser-known towns in East London with a relatively small population and an abundance of quaint-looking buildings, both of which contribute to its charm. It also has quite a lot to offer visitors, especially in the way of shopping at places such as The Liberty Shopping Centre. But despite its appeal, its homeowners are still at risk from a number of nuisance problems like sewage backup, and that’s where drain clearance services can prove useful.
If flooding or sewage backup has proved problematic for you, you might want to use an online directory to search for drain clearance services in the Romford area. The advantages of using a directory rather than a search engine include being able to view customer reviews and ratings, meaning you can easily find dependable and cost-effective companies without having to spend hours researching endlessly through an abundance of company websites.
What Causes Sewage Backups?
To understand when the services of professionals are required, it’s useful to know what causes can result in backups and flooding, some of which include:
- Backwater valve failure – Your drains and sewer pipes are usually fitted with a backwater valve that prevents water from flowing in the wrong direction, i.e., back into your home. If this valve fails to do its job, the build-up of waste water will usually find its way into your home, usually flowing back through drainage systems found around your property’s ground level.
- Heavy rain – Your drains are usually efficient at shifting rainwater away from your home, but heavy downpours can sometimes render them useless. If your drains are clogged or blocked, matters will only be made worse. If you want to prevent this problem to the best of your abilities, you’ll need to contact a professional company for drain clearance services.
- Tree roots – The pipes that connect to your drainage system can often tolerate small cracks for a number of years so long as nothing from their exterior can penetrate them. However, as time progresses, plant and tree routes can penetrate these small cracks and cause blockages which can result in flooding. Even if it’s not roots that cause the blockages, other substances will eventually find their way into your pipes as the cracks widen.
Steps You can Take to Prevent Backups
Though there’s no way to completely eliminate the threat of sewage backups, the following preventative measures can help:
- Only flush the toilet when necessary
- Make sure food is disposed of in the bin rather than down the sink
- Avoid running taps excessively
- Don’t pour oil, fat or grease down the sink
- Take your clothes to be washed at the launderette
- Have your drains professionally cleaned regularly
The last point in the list above is especially important because sewage backup and flooding are most often caused by blockages. You can find many dependable companies to clear your drains using a comprehensive online directory, and the cost of maintenance is almost always cheaper than paying for repairs due to negligence.